Monday 14 February 2011

and breathe...

Although at times chronic migraine can seem like quite an isolating condition, I am blessed enough to have somebody's support whose compassion and understanding seems to know no bounds. When one thing fails and I inevitably get that sense that this will be a lifelong battle that I will have to manage rather than conquer; he is the first to remind me to pick myself up, dust myself off, score that thing off the list of possible solutions and move on to the next one. We wont give up until something works...

So looking into the next thing on the list I came across Oxygen therapy. 

This involves the sufferer breathing 100% oxygen for approx 10-15 mins. Whilst this is commonly used today for treatment for cluster headaches, its widespread application to other forms of headache is less commonly exploited. Research has found that oxygen therapy can provide pain relief and even completely the relieve the headache/migraine in about 80% of cases.

For further information:
http://www.headaches.org/education/Headache_Topic_Sheets/Oxygen_Therapy

Oxyfit often advertise on my blog, they provide 100% medicinal grade oxygen for home use.

My experience with this is that I find it useful when I get a short, sharp, stabbing pains (that sometimes accompanies the beginnings of a headache), I find the edge is taken off the pain and doesn't tend to escalate any further.

You may find relief and even a cure in the most simplest of function you perform everyday without thinking - breathing.



For breath is life, and if you breathe well you will live long on earth.  ~Sanskrit Proverb